You can now select multiple items in WorkFlowy. This is one of the most exciting features we’ve released in a long time. For new users, it should just feel obvious, it should clearly work this way. For existing users, it should it should be a great relief.
It was quite complicated to implement, but it greatly improves the ease of managing and re-organizing WorkFlowy lists. Further, it is one of the last major barriers to WorkFlowy feeling like a true text editor, which is one of our overriding goals.
There are a bunch of ways to select things:
- Click and drag over all the items you want selected
- Hold alt (control/command on Mac) and click to select random items
- Hold shift and click to select all items between where the cursor is and your second click
- Hold shift and use the arrow keys
- Hold control/command and press “a” twice to select all visible items (the first “a” selects all the text in the current item)
Once you’ve selected some lines, you can complete, move, delete, cut, copy, indent and paste them.
We’ve tried to copy the behavior of text editors and file systems, the two areas where this type selecting action is most common. Hopefully you find the feature intuitive and useful. We’re certainly enthralled with it.
Update: An important component of this feature that I forgot to mention in the original article is exporting. Once you select some lines, you can copy or cut them, and then paste them to an external program. Much easier than an export dialog.