DISCLAIMER: This is not an official recommendation from the WorkFlowy team. We do not make this app, and we do not officially support it. It may break at any time, and there’s nothing we can do about it. Frank, our volunteer blogger helped contribute to it, so we’re letting him write about it here.
NOTE: HandyFlowy is on the way for Android!
Michinari Yamamoto and his team have knocked the ball out of the park with their dedicated WorkFlowy app, HandyFlowy. HandyFlowy seamlessly loads WorkFlowy to its interface and powers up your editing, navigating and searching on mobile by putting virtually all of WorkFlowy’s desktop browser capabilities at your fingertips… and then some.
Recently, rawbytz commented to me:
“As I’ve transitioned from beta tester to pure user… I’m really appreciating the power in HandyFlowy. I am much more likely to pick up my iPhone to interact with WorkFlowy, rather than waiting until I get to a PC or using some other capture method. This thing freaking rocks.”
We (rawbytz and I) chipped in and offered to put together HandyFlowy’s app store description – which gives a clear indication of how the app powers things up for us – and so I’m about to give you a show and tell in line with that. Keep in mind that everything that follows adds to and extends what we already have on iOS.
HandyFlowy boasts a set of scrolling toolbars, which allow easy access to a range of Edit and Search buttons. The Pro version allows you to customize the order of these buttons and which you’d like to include/ exclude from the toolbar. Here’s the Edit toolbar in action:
A shout-out to rawbytz for proposing the horizontal toolbar, and a thank you to Michinari for running with it.
Ease of editing
One of HandyFlowy’s outstanding attributes is the ability to move around your entire outline and not have your cursor bounce in and out of edit mode.
Here are some of the more significant edit features (buttons):
- DELETE and DUPLICATE whole lists with one tap
(I hear the WorkFlowy hordes errupt in celebration)
- UNDO if you screw up… REDO if you second-guess yourself.
(This is for me! I’ve got a feeling it’s for you too)
TIP: HandyFlowy’s hidden cursor swipes can easily eliminate 6 of the “cursor-moving” buttons. You can swipe:
- horizontally below your text to move your cursor left/ right,
- ⬏ or ⬑ (across & up) to move up a list… and
- ⬎ or ⬐ (across & down) to move down a list
Ease of navigation
HandyFlowy has this magic little pop-out navigation panel. You can swipe to:
- NAVIGATE YOUR HISTORY – Go back and forth between the lists visited and searches performed, just like on desktop
- ZOOM OUT to a parent list
- JUMP TO PREVIOUS/ NEXT zoomed-in sibling list
- Go to your CUSTOM “START” LIST
Below I’ll demonstrate how quick it is to jump to the next zoomed-in sibling list by swiping diagonally up to the right on the navigation panel… and then I’ll go back to square one by swiping up to the “zoom out” arrow (instead of using the breadcrumb navigation links).
HandyFlowy has a slide-out BOOKMARKS panel, similar (in concept) to WorkFlowy’s starred pages menu. You can…
- Bookmark any list or save any search
- Nest bookmarks in folders
- Sync your bookmarks to iCloud
HandyFlowy has another interesting toolbar that I’ve kept hidden in the above GIF’s…
- On one side it shows a TITLE BAR, which when you long-press, copies the URL of the list you’re in to your clipboard.
- On the flip side you have 4 buttons which will either (1) expand and collapse your lists ENTIRELY… or (2) expand and collapse your lists INCREMENTALLY:
VIEW MODE: That open lock button on the bottom toolbar, when pressed, locks editing temporarily – and you can scroll through your lists without inadvertent keyboard popups.
Ease of searching
HandyFlowy gives us quick-access buttons on the Search Toolbar for:
- WorkFlowy’s SEARCH OPERATORS:
- NOT (-)
- Your SEARCH HISTORY
- Your SAVED SEARCH list
Advanced features and customization
HandyFlowy serves up a smörgåsbord of advanced features and lays it on thick with customization options. There is a tad bit of a learning curve to get yourself familiarized with what can be customized – but once set up, you’ll have as much or as little clutter as you choose.
- CUSTOM COLORS for background & toolbars: knock yourself out. I go with white (#FFFFFF) – in sticking with WorkFlowy’s minimalist approach.
- Text export options, including an “Export to Evernote” extension/ script.
- Saved custom phrases & tags – a little bit of text expansion magic
- Two WorkFlowy tabs with customizable “start” lists
- View “last changed” or “completed” dates for individual lists
- Sync User Settings to iCloud
- URL Scheme support
- Export to Evernote
- Word/ character count
- 3-color text highlighter/ underliner
- Scripts which allow us to make use of CSS styles. Yes… that means you can graft in your Stylish extension styles!
- INLINE IMAGES – Wait… What?! Yep, you can get inline images on iOS. This inline images script was created based on this post I made back in January. In the GIF below (on iPad) you’ll see an “Inspirational Quotes” outline of mine that I’m tinkering with – which when I click on a tag in the header (or anywhere), I get all related quotes – along with inline images. You’ll also see, once again, how with HandyFlowy we are able to flip from one zoomed-in list to previous or next sibling lists:
And it’s a wrap
Some closing remarks:
- Rawbytz and I were simply beta testers for HandyFlowy, although our suggestions were weighed heavily upon. We recommend this app because it ramps up WorkFlowy on iOS significantly and has made a marked difference to our mobile experience.
- HandyFlowy offers an in-app purchase, which activates pro features and removes ads. I’d personally upgrade just to get rid of the ads.
- HandyFlowy needs an internet connection. In my case, 4G does the trick when I’m out and about.
- In case you didn’t see this part: HandyFlowy is on the way for Android!
Get EXCLUSIVE bite-sized WorkFlowy updates: tips, tricks & news about FREE online workshops with Frank Degenaar. Sign up here.