Backlinks just got an upgrade – You can now create a new bullet and a backlink to it in one go 🎉
With this addition, you can now quickly create backlinks to items that don’t yet exist, all without having to leave your current location.
The feature is currently available in beta. To turn on beta, you can follow these instructions.
Why would I want to do that?
Imagine you’re in the middle of writing something and realize you want to dive deeper into a specific idea.
There used to be two options:
- You could continue with what you’re writing and try to remember to go back and create that item (high risk of forgetting)
- You could stop what you’re doing, zoom out of the bullet you’re currently on, navigate to another section, create a new bullet, and finally write down the topic so you can go back to it later (high risk of breaking your flow)
Now, there’s a third and much better option✨
You can invoke the ‘new create a bullet’ feature, select the location for the new item and continue with what you were writing. No more forgetting. No more breaking your flow.
How does it work?
- Start typing double brackets ‘[[‘ to create a backlink
- Use the arrow keys or mouse to select ‘New “X” in…’
- Search for the location of the new item
- Select it and done
You should now have a backlink to the new bullet you just created. The next time you create a new backlink, the last used location will be presented as a quick location. Also recently used locations will be shown first during the location search.
TIP – While not the intended purpose of the feature, you can use it to create an item in a remote location and simply delete the backlink. So for example – if you remember something important you want to write down but don’t need to link it, like a todo or a quick note, just delete the backlink afterwards.