2018 WorkFlowy RoadMap

January 25, 2018

ryan-hefner-190737

Happy 2018 WorkFlowy users!  We’ve decided that it’s time to start sharing our thoughts on where we’re heading, and what we’re working on next. Here’s a summary of what we’re currently thinking so far for roughly the first eight months or so of 2018.

Big Picture Plans

Our current plan is to work on the following parts of WorkFlowy, in the following order. We expect most of these projects to take between 1-3 months, but it’s hard to say, so we aren’t making specific time estimates. We recommend consuming the following with many grains of salt.

• Mobile App Redesign (In progress)
    • Why? This is one of the areas where our product is weakest, and it is the top complaint from new users. Having a terrible mobile app (yes, our current mobile app is terrible) is also untenable for a software company in 2018. Or 2014 for that matter 🙂
    • Note: The mobile app redesign is in progress and pretty far along. We are testing the first versions with small groups of users now, and will be testing with Alpha users in the weeks to come. If you want test the new mobile app before it is released to the public, just join WorkFlowy Alpha!
  • Bringing Improvements from Mobile to Desktop/Web
    • Why? We’re doing a bunch of things on mobile that will also be welcome on desktop, like a quick add button linked to a location of your choice (and inbox type feature for those in GTD land), better starred views navigation,  and a visual overhaul to make the whole app look more modern and attractive.
  • Teams and Collaboration Improvements
    • Why? Right now you can share in WorkFlowy and content will sync between users and devices. But you won’t know what other people are doing, and they won’t know what you are doing. You won’t be able to get their attention if you want to, and you’ll both probably move onto another tool for your collaboration needs, even if you prefer the way WorkFlowy organizes information. Fixing this situation is one of our top strategic priorities, both for growth and revenue, so we’re going to plug away on it.
  • Dates & Reminders
    • Why? This is the top feature request (alongside mobile improvements) from existing WorkFlowy users. We simply need to do it.

We do have rough plans beyond this as well, but we’ll just share this for now, because we expect things to change as we work, get feedback, continue to figure things out.

Onward And Upward

We are excited for the new momentum we feel at WorkFlowy and we hope you will soon have new and improved experiences to enjoy.

Note: This post is part of an attempt to communicate better with our dedicated users. Please don’t punish us for our transparency. We welcome critical feedback on this and everything, but just remember to be kind when you give it. If you are frustrated, just remember that we are trying really hard and that harsh words genuinely sting.

Jeff Reuther
Jeff Reuther

Really excited to hear about these improvements.

Tiest van Gool
Tiest van Gool

Keep it simple!!! Don’t go overboard like for instance Dynalist!!

Scott Sorg
Scott Sorg
Reply to  Tiest van Gool

I second this. I like the simplicity and ease of use with Workflowy.

Dan
Dan
Reply to  Tiest van Gool

Avoid bloat
Follow the K.I.S.S. philosophy
It’s currently a great app that’s simple and fast

Liana
Liana

I just want to say that I love Workflowy. It’s revolutionized how I get things done. I’ve converted all my grad students to using it too. These upcoming improvements sound great too — thanks!

Dan
Dan

Don’t say Workflowy is a “terrible app”. I love it and use it every day on Android and Windows, all day long, having an extensive Personal list and an equally long Work list. It’s the only drag-sortable list app there is (that works most excellently)! I don’t need any changes and I hope the core functionality of drag sorting a list doesn’t change. It’s pretty perfect.

B Ali
B Ali

Can’t thank you guys enough for all you’ve done so far, and now there’s more! Gonna purchase premium soon I promise, having all this for free racks me with guilt.

Charlie d'Estries (@CharlieDestries)

I use WorkFlowy every day as it is my favorite app to store and organize information and ideas. Having reminders (with dates and time and repeat reminders), and the ability to use color would be awesome ( that’s how my brain works)… but even if you did nothing else, I would still continue to use! Thanks for a great product!

ipstone (@isaacpei)

Hi Jesse, nice roadmap! Recently I started to use ranger-fm https://github.com/ranger/ranger, which has a really intuitive way to navigate the tree structure (in that case, it’s file system tree). For workflowy tree, somehow if we can improve the interface with such navigation (with keybinding similar to vim keys), it would be really powerful. If somehow we can build such functionality in the desktop version, it will be awesome. – Just a thought. and Thank you again for the excellent work on workflowy!

Sebastian
Sebastian

Reminders!! Hell yeah!!

I love Workflowy and I’m really happy to hear the work you guys are putting into it.

Colbie Holderness
Colbie Holderness

I love everything about WorkFlowy and can’t imagine my life without it. I really look forward to seeing the implemented version of all your plans!

Eric McDougall
Eric McDougall

Hi Jesse – I love the new focus on product improvement. So great. All of the new features you mention sound really great and incredibly positive, so can’t wait to experience some of these as they hit the product (which remains GREAT and unique BTW). The peeps at Dropbox Paper are doing excellent work. Take a look at that for solid collaboration design!

Daniel Egan
Daniel Egan

Thanks for the 411. Good stuff!

Keran Holland
Keran Holland

Workflowy has been a mainstay of my work for a few years now, and the simplicity of it is easily the thing I like the most. But I will admit that recently the mobile app has started to feel a bit dated, and my task list is often so big that reminders would have been useful…..then I see this and I am happy again.

My one recommendation? Keep it slick and easy, there’s nothing worse then seeing a simply easy to use tool start entering bloatware hell.

Looking forward to what is to come.

Tim Lines
Tim Lines

I’m excited to hear about an update for mobile. I love workflowy on the desktop and have struggled with the app version although I try to use it daily. It’s one of my most used apps on the phone, I even added it to the main app dock. Thank you!

Dan Smith
Dan Smith

I really like the way workflowy is now. I don’t like the idea of GTD crap getting in the way of my work. It’s one of the main reasons I like workflowy. I do things my way. Please pass on GTD.

nastasimal

I’ve had an annual subscription for a few years now, simply for the increased space. I take a LOT of notes. I’m happy with the core product as it is, but hearing about the introduction of dates to Workflowy means I’ll be able to do a lot more with it. I appreciate that. Also, hearing the mobile version will be updated soon too also brings me joy, as I have it on my phone but find it nearly unusable for my current needs (albeit I am not a mobile guy to begin with, so I’m sure I hold 50% of the blame there).

Chas Q
Chas Q

I, like so many others, have tried many other productivity apps and keep coming back to Workflowy Pro (for several years now). It’s simplicity and adaptability are what I like best. Dates and reminders would be nice, but please don’t sacrifice the elegance of Workflowy.
I like your plan, improve the mobile versions first (whatever happened to “Dismiss Keyboard?), then add bells and whistles, but always keep it simple! I should always be able to access/obtain my content as text.
Finally, no surprises, please continue to tell us about changes before they are implemented.
Keep up the good work.

ML
ML

SO excited about this news. I can’t wait for the mobile redesign. Thank you!

peabodyadmin

Hey good luck, have fun! I use Workflowy mostly on my desktop, but glad to have the mobile version.

Steve Rothman, Systems Administrator
Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology – mobile: 617-517-4855 or x5-9968

Carlos

Hi Jacob, check the mail again, please! : )

Mark Permann
Mark Permann

Thankful for your post. I agree it’s not true that the mobile app is terrible, but I do love that it is your first priority as I want it to be much more functional.

As a sometime software developer myself, I also like how you handled the timeline. You’ve given estimates but you aren’t committing to them. This is realistic and fair. When you are creating new things, you simply cannot know how long it will take. The purpose of a plan isn’t to hit a date and crush people under it; it is to direct action as best as humanly possible.

Paulo Pina

That’s great; please when you work on dates, don’t forget to add the possibility of sorting by date; the ability to do chronologies would be a killer feature in workflowy, specially for lawyers; it would really open up workflowy to a new dimension

bretb1
bretb1

And one more vote for anchor text for links to keep lists clean from the dreaded “super-long URL.” Thanks!

Jean-Baptiste Dayez

Thank you for sharing your roadmap! The functionality that I would find the most useful would be a kind of inbox where you can easily send information (from an email box, a browser or the mobile app). Thank you for everything!

Louis Yurman
Louis Yurman

keep up the good work. I have been a pro user about 5 years and I have been consistently using for 2 years. I just can’t function without it. I only ask that you keep the typewriter font because it lines up the letters nice and straight which I need for certain applications

Mark Root-Wiley

Big thanks from a user who loves the simplicity of WorkFlowy, appreciates transparency, and has never really felt like it’s missing much 🙂

Gloria Lassich

Woo-hoo! I definitely picked the right year to go premium! I look forward to the new features in the coming months! 😃

Tomasz Raburski
Tomasz Raburski

No shortcuts to local files? Sad.

simplejournaliste

Thanks for these new informations.
Keep on working so smart, Friends.
My advice : dont forget – but I’m sure you don’t – that the top quality must be to navigate easily, and retrieve easily and link easily out pieces of texts.
Thanks in advance,
Gilles (Paris, France)

simplejournaliste

Erratum, sorry : not “out” but “our” (pieces of texts).

Pam Mc Cormack
Pam Mc Cormack

Thanks for all your hard work and for taking the time to share with us your future direction. ‘Looking forward to hearing more as progress is made.

Joel Janikowski
Joel Janikowski

Best news of the year. I’ve been waiting for this for a long time. I have probably tried every single to do app and website… Many have features that pull me in but I always keep coming back to workflowy. You can beat the simplicity and power.

Otto Vanluchene

Same here

Pablo Guevara Caramelo

Jesse,

re: “and a visual overhaul to make the whole app look more modern and attractive”

Does that include color formatting? I’m really missing the capability of color coding my Workflowy sections as discussed in this feature request: https://workflowy.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/202609829-Color-Formatting

It seems like a feature that will unblock a lot of different use cases and while at the same time has a very small footprint, in terms of added clutter/noise, for users who choose to ignore it.

Laura
Laura

I’m with others – exciting news here! Thank you for letting us know what you’re planning!
I personally have no use for the proposed collaboration features you’re pondering, but am VERY excited for the rest of the updates.

I know you’ve heard this a gazillion times from your users – but it’s worth saying again – whatever you add or improve, please make sure it doesn’t come at the expense of Workflowy’s simplicity and “bullet proof” nature.
I’ve tried numerous other options, and I always come back to WorkFlowy as my best option because others are to distracting, OR they just have bugs and don’t work smoothly as they should. Keep up the great work team!

sawtoothux

Oh how thrilled I am to hear this! I’m so excited to see, as you called it, a new momentum coming from your team. I honestly could live the rest of my life with the current web and mobile apps. But to hear that you’re going to make mobile and web improvements and modernizations is so wonderful to hear! And though I’ve never ached at the lack of dates and reminders, I believe I will find them quite useful indeed. WorkFlowy has made my life so much better. Thank you, thank you for the work you’ve done on this product and for the work you’re doing now and will do going forward. Very excited over here!

Aaron L
Aaron L

Very happy to get the update, and enthusiastic about the choices for the roadmap! I am running 90% of my WORK and HOME life through WF right now in GTD methodology, so what you are proposing is AN UPGRADE TO MY SECOND BRAIN! Love you guys, keep up the good work. Long live “The New Excel”!

AL

José Galhoz
José Galhoz

If I had to choose only one app to do my work it would be WORKFLOWY…
I recently took the plunge and commited a big area of my work into WF…
I’ve tried others and I always come back to WF as it is the app that does what I want the way I want and works in harmony with my brain.
Of course there are a few things here and there that could ease my work… I could say reminders could be useful…but I have my stuff structured with tags, and having to preview my day every morning as #tues or #soon is good to focus… Kanban way never work well for me… nevertheless WF makes me 99.9% happy 99.9% of the time!
Don’t be too harsh on you or the app, Jesse!
Thanks for your excelent work

JG
Head of the ENT department of JJF hospital, Portugal

dorman54

So god damn excited for these features it almost hurts!

Bob
Bob

“Having a terrible mobile app (yes, our current mobile app is terrible) is also untenable for a software company in 2018. Or 2014 for that matter.”. I think you overstated. That mobile WorkFlowy is “terrible”. Well it was missing some features perhaps, for me it was still very functional. I look forward to having the new features, especially dates and notifications.

wilhelmmedetz
wilhelmmedetz

Sounds good. Please keep the mobile app as fast and snappy as it is now (works perfectly fine on an old iPad 2 with a large dataset).

k2valor
k2valor

Will the mobile app rework be for both Apple / Android?

Reply to  k2valor

Yep!

brendanampersandgmailcom
brendanampersandgmailcom

Awesome! Thank you for sharing your roadmap! No harsh words here, just gratitude for your work on the tool I work with most, all day long.

Bret
Bret

Jesse, Thanks for sharing. I like your roadmap. Since you are going with dates/reminders I suggest checking out the Cronofy API as a service to link with Google Calendar. It works great in Evernote and Trello.

Reply to  Bret

Oh, cool, thanks for the tip!

bretb1
bretb1
Reply to  Jesse Patel

Love, love, love Workflowy! Keep it up. We appreciate it.

Jax Stephens
Jax Stephens

Jesse, as a premium WorkFlowy user and evangelist for many years, this was a great post to read. I agree completely with that roadmap and look forward to seeing it executed.

Ann
Ann

This fantastic! Whether I agree with your direction is not the point. It’s the communication I appreciate, but it’s great that I want 90% of what you outlined (no pun intended) – thank you!

Wasim Malik

Until they implement natively you can look at my extension called workflowy plus which offers following features including reminders
Feature 1: Reminders
Feature 2: Day Highlighter
Feature 3: Encrypt Decryption your workflow items
Feature 4: Support multiple fonts for workflowy
Feature 5: Ability to change background colors
Feature 6: Day Highlighter Made Optional
Feature 7: Added word count option in Right Click Context Menu
Feature 8: Ability to change main Text Color
Feature 9: Email alerts for Reminders
Feature 10: Support for Inline Images this script credit goes to Original Developer

Kerry
Reply to  Wasim Malik

There are chrome extensions you can download that change the font and the background colors. They’re great!

glennpj
glennpj

Thanks for publishing a roadmap. That was a pleasant surprise this morning. I hope that once the linked inbox is in place then an API to enable IFTT/Zapier integration will not be far behind.

Despite some of the missing features of WorkFlowy I have not found anything else that works as well for me.

Wasim Malik

Jesse you never disappoint us. We have tremendous trust on your software. Being Regular user for last one year. Your software has done a lot for me.
Do look for API access to developers option.You many not know this feature can change future of workflowy. Developer building apps around your system. I can see huge market over there.

Reply to  Wasim Malik

Yes, this is super important. We feel we need to prioritize critical failings of the core product first, however.

Kevin
Kevin
Reply to  Jesse Patel

For the way I use WorkFlowy, there are no critical failings. The core product is rock solid and, in my view, unparalleled as it stands today: simple plain text, ubiquitously available, with the power of tags, relationships, presentation, and navigation. I don’t envy your task of improving upon that! Thanks for everything that you’ve put into WorkFlowy.

Tom Snyder
Tom Snyder

This is the best news I’ve heard in a long time. For the past few years, I have kept WorkFlowy at the back of my tools closet, waiting for just the things you are planning on doing in 2018.
“One man, one tool”

Félix Guay-Vachon
Félix Guay-Vachon

Hi Jesse!

As I said few years ago, the first day dates will be integrated to wo Workflowy, I’ll get an annual subscription right away.

Keep up the good work!

csiciliaCarlos

Hi, Jesse! Happy new year! I need that the offline mobile app could allow me to generate the sharing links. And don’t forget to send me my 6 months WF free subscription (as a reward for rescuing the name Workflowy in Instagram!) Best regards to Frank Degenaar and all the Workflowy team! Millions of blessings!!!!!

Reply to  csiciliaCarlos

Oops. Please email your account email to help@workflowy.com and we’ll set that up for you.

Scott Winterroth

Thanks for your work and letting us know about your vision and roadmap for Workflowy. I’m not in need of the collaboration tools or the reminders because I probably use Workflowy a bit differently but then that is what I like about it that you can pick it up and use it in a way that makes sense for you. Also, I would love the ability to integrate with other apps like an IFTTT or Zapier integration or something. Just a thought.

Josh Boyce
Josh Boyce

I cannot properly express in any number of words how excited I am for this!!!!! Finding WorkFlowy roughly 5 years ago was life-changing, and continues to be. It is the ONE application that is essential to me; I truly could not function without it. I have longed for these features so fervently, and when they come to fruition, no one will be able to shut me up telling everyone and their mother how amazing WorkFlowy is. The only thing I would add is that the start up speed really needs help too (please read as constructive criticism with lots of love). I have a massive store of lists made up mostly of old records that I do not reference very often, so waiting for the WHOLE thing to load doesn’t really make much sense when 95% of the time I only use a very small portion of the lists that I have right at the front. Having those load first so I can access what I need to quickly, and letting the rest continue to load as I’m in the app would work much better. I actually use two separate accounts because of this: one large and slow and the other small and fast, so I don’t have to wait for the lists I use most frequently. Anyways, don’t let that take away from my incredible adoration for WorkFlowy and immense appreciation for the hard work of the team. Keep it up guys!!!

Reply to  Josh Boyce

Yes, startup speed is definitely something that needs to be improved. We are looking at both short term/cheap ways to improve things and long term/deeper ways.

1 2 3 4